Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ukrainium

Well, here we go.
I've spent the day studying the new lingua here. (You Russian speakers, get this: there are three future forms for every Ukrainian verb, compared to Russian's two.)
Somehow you get cocky after you know another language well enough to buy milk and find the bathroom. After a relatively easy time with Hebrew in seminary I thought about Russian, "This uncircumcised philistine will be like one of them." Reality raised its fang-ed head and dispatched, with dispatch, that bit of pride-based naivete.
Well, Ukrainian is a lot like Russian, even 'very similar'. But after an hour or so of reading about grammar I had that same feeling I used to have learning Russian: "I'm never going to get this."
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I'll be happy to be able to just describe new tricks.

Well, anyway, there's a day in the life. Thanks for reading.

No comments: