Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday Market

Oh, today was a good day.
We have discovered that every other Saturday is Saturday Market day. We walk just a block to a parking lot that is converted into a market for the day. We have found very good prices on food here. I am thankful as food is quite a bit more expensive here in the capital city.
Those of you who know me, know how I love making food with dried beans, and guess what? I finally found them here at the market! So, guess how many kilos I bought? 5kgs (that is more than 10 lbs). Ok, I know that is alot of beans, but....I don't know if I will find them next time.
We also found some cornmeal. Maybe these sound like really common foodstuffs, but I am finding the food here in Kiev is diferent from what was available in Krasnodar.
We have found that at this market we can get fish and chicken at a good price.
Buckwheat is also a staple food here rather than rice. As it happens, Jerry and I love buckwheat, and I googled it and found that it is very good for us.
While waiting in line and buying food, it is easy to start conversations with people, especially when they hear our accents, people are quite friendly and want to know where we are from.
So, pray for us in 2 weeks when we go back, the people that are buying food at this Saturday market are our neighbors and we are trying to meet them!
Please pray for us, we are going on Monday to find out about enrolling in a Ukranian Language course. We want to learn the basics of the language and make some contacts for the future.
Pray that we meet the folks who will be the start of our ministry here.
Pray that we don't get too discouraged, we really don't know anyone here, yet.
Pray that we meet people here in our neighborhood, they are noticing that we are not just visiting, but are actually living here.
We will have some friends some time.....

3 comments:

Donnie and Blythe said...

It's exciting to read your updates. Don't get discouraged. It will happen! We're praying...

Donnie and Blythe said...

Find any eggplant for white elephant gifts???!!! -Donnie

Jerry and Kim said...

hey, we can find eggplant everywhere, it is a world wide favorite! ;D