Saturday, November 22, 2008

The power of a comment

Well, it is Saturday today. We woke up to a snow storm minus the wind, it was beautiful to watch out our window while drinking coffee. I have been watching the weather turn from snow, to rain, and now back to snow. This means only one thing...it is a baking day. I have a pan of cornbread in the oven as I type and have baked 2 of the little squashes that I bought from our little grandma friend.
Remember our little grandma friend? Her name is Halya. She is the one that we buy sour cream, farmer's cheese and veggies from? Remember also that Jerry gave her a Bible? Well, last friday as I was buying some things from her, of course we were talking and I asked her if she read any of the Bible that Jerry gave her. She said that she didn't have much time for reading. I told her that I read my Bible at least 5-10 minutes each day and that this helps me throughout the day to be calm and have peace.
Now, we are regularly praying for our neighbors and people we have met, and we prayed that Halya would find time to read her Bible that weekend while she was at home. I went out to see her few days ago. We started to talk about life and Ukranian language (as she only speaks Ukranian to us) and (she is very pleased that we are learning her language) and what do you think she said to me...she has read the Bible for 10 minutes each day and has already read 7 pages. I asked her what book she was reading and she answered me, "the new Bible that Jerry gave me!" Silly me! : ) She told me that she was going to write down the questions that she has and we can answer them! Too cool! Keep praying for Halya.
Well, I think the cornbread is finished, and it is just about time for lunch, wish you could join us, really I do...we miss our family and friends. Kiev is starting to feel more and more like home. This is a good thing! Keep praying for us as we continue to meet people and try to meet with people! Pray for the wife of one of our neighbors, she is sick. When she is better, we have already agreed to get together for tea.
~kim

No comments: