Monday, March 2, 2009

Sweat

So, my ski buddy Yura finally called today, Tuesday, to make sure I was going to the sauna with him and his buddies this afternoon.
Whew! A better missionary than I would find it in himself to love the sauna experience...(I guess I'll write and describe it soon- The Russian Sauna is a cultural event that is unique.) There are plenty of things I do love about life in Eastern Europe- borsch, friendships, hot mustard, the whole "the clock works for us, we don't work for the clock" way of doing business...But for me the only reason to go to the sauna is because it is something you do with real friends and you deepen friendships while doing it.
Meeting people skiing was good but this is definitely taking acquaintance to a deeper level, culturally speaking. How could I say no?

So, while the sauna would not be my choice for getting to know new people, Yura did invite me and this was AFTER he asked me for some written statement of my Christian beliefs (which I had with me and gave him there on top of the slopes) so I'll be putting my towel, slippers, water bottles, toga, and some salty snacks in a bag and catching the subway out to a far side of town where the sauna dudes will meet me with their car.

Whew! again.

While I sweat Kim will be in class by herself at the U. She likes the whole english-thing a lot but would prefer to have me along. I guess today we both get to go beyond our comfort zones.
There is probably a good illustration for the whole 'going beyond the comfort zone' in here somewhere. Maybe we'll have miraculous news to report on the outcome of all of this.

Ok, thanks for reading and remembering us.
Jerry

No comments: