Thursday, March 5, 2009

Home and the Range

I was just looking at our blog. Mostly I look for comments, but I also look for grammatical errors. I usually find less of the first than I'd hope-enough of the second to be embarasssed...sorry.

Anyway, looking at the picture of Pasha making sauerkraut I noticed the buildings that you can see through the window.
It's a CITY out there.

In the English classes kids ask about American life. One kid haltingly read the question he had prepared, "What life is like in America and how different it is from life in Ukraine?" Don't laugh; learning another language is really hard. Well, my answer was that life is so different in so many places that it's hard for a kid from Wyoming to know how his life was different from kids who grow up in a country's capital city.
And a few days ago, like many other days before, I found myself saying, "Thanks, God, for letting me live here." I don't really understand the dynamic that makes me love the wide open spaces of the western US and still love the pace and the hustle and the sometimes claustrophobic closeness of the Big City.
Except that there is a promise about Abundant Life that seems to explain it: life's richness doesn't have to depend on the circumstances that might appear to dictate how we live and the good life is more than the ideal neighborhood.

I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't always seem this easy, I guess today was one of those abundant days.

Until next time.

3 comments:

Jane Ann said...

You said that you look for comments, so I thought I should write one for you! =) I love following your blog, keeping up with you, so very far away from my quaint little log house in the northwoods of Minnesota... Please know that you are in our hearts, and on our prayer list. Thanks for sharing the challenges and joys in your life with an old friend! Those college days we shared were so long ago, but it somehow seems like it was just a few months ago, not 25 years past! God bless you both!) May He prosper you as you share His love with those around you.

Peggy Flynn said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on your lives, Kim and Jerry! It is a great help to know how to pray for you...and... it stretches us to know more about life and the spiritual conditions of others a world away. God bless you today!

Love, Peggy and Joel Flynn

Gary Burdick said...

Hi Jerry and Kim, I was encouraged by your 'up day' attitude. I know I didn't do so well adjusting to life around Minneapolis. Although a trasplant to the west - I guess I rooted!