Friday, May 15, 2009

Long range

Well, we're back.

I know, we said that two weeks ago in our last blog. To tell the whole truth I have to be in the mood to update the blog and we came back from our time in Russia needing a good un-wind before we got back to work. Finally, after some rest and a return to a schedule it feels like time to write again.

So, what's new...
We were back at the University again this week. It was good to see students and teachers that we know and it always feels good to be busy doing something measurable (numbers of hours and numbers of students) again. School is winding down for the year so our summer will be free-ish. The director is asking us to participate in an intensive program of English teaching so we'll see how that works out.
I got back to the sauna with the guys this week. Our Sunday afternoon sports times are done with the coming of summer heat so, needing some other way to keep contact with these guys, I suggested golf. (This idea came from meeting the golf pro, an American, at church on Sunday).
Today Sasha Mazarski, who owns two auto parts stores and has his afternoons free, went with me to the driving range. When I hit a couple 200+ yard drives I could see in his eyes a whole new level of respect for me, which might lend a little more credibilty to the things I say on other topics.
"We have to come back here with Yura", Sasha said. "Yes, let's do it!" was an easy reply from me. Yura is the guy who I originally met skiing and who invited me to the sauna the first time. The whole pile of guys I've met between sauna and Sunday sports have been a really decent, uh, pile. Even so Yura stands out for his ability to like and be likeable so I hope work will let him get away.

Well, that's it for this time. Thanks for continuing to look in even though we've let this whole blog thing go for so long.

3 comments:

Trent and Laurel Wagner said...

cool dad, i some how pictured you in plaid pants and an argyle sweater and a little hat:) then i had to wake up and realize it was you.
its exciting, i hope this leads to much more.
i love you

TFisher said...

Jerry, I think when Matt reads that you've been to a driving range and have golf connections there, he'll feel called to Kiev! Somehow I can see one of our bags going back to Russia morphing into something that looks kind of like a bag of clubs.

Donnie and Blythe said...

You have golf!!! I'll take "tee time" over "tea time" any day! -Donnie