Sunday, February 22, 2009

Metropolitan

Leninsky Prospect
The platform at Leninsky Prospect
The metro arriving
So, while we were in Moscow getting our Ukrainian visas, we traveled around the city.
We got up before the crack of dawn and made our way to the Metro. I love the metro (subway).
In the winter, it is warm and in the summer it is cool. And, there is always the smell. It isn’t a foul smell, it is like the smell in your Grandpa’s garage, somehow it brings warm feelings to me.
That morning we were able to get a seat right away, we got to the metro stop just as it opened for the day.
As we were riding, I looked around and noticed a man getting ready to get off at a station. He was extremely concerned with making sure his shoes were clean. A little later on I watched another man across from me actually get out a shoe polisher and polish his shoes.
As I was riding, I noticed the woman across from me. She had her eyes ‘closed’ and she was looking around, mostly at us. I noticed this, as I have used it myself on some occasions.
During the course of our ride, we came to the stop called “Leninsky Prospect”. It is a stop that is very familiar to me. 10 years ago we lived in Moscow and every day the kids and I rode the metro to their school at this very stop. As we sat there waiting for the passengers to board, many wonderful memories of that year flooded my mind.
I love the metro.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi
it was neat to see these photo's too. We remember going to the school as it was still being put together. The playground was a mess and all broken equipment...