Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Meat

Hi,
(Wow, it's good to see that Kim is keeping up the blog...I forgot we had one)

The other day- it was either in the sauna with the guys or at sports night with the other guys -when I looked around at all who were gathered and thought "How do I really communicate the gospel to these men who grew up hearing there is no God, but now sort of believe that there is a God, but that He has nothing relevant to say to their daily lives?"

It was right then that I understood that whole exchange between Jesus and his disciples: They were one time trying to get him to eat but he said, "I have meat you don't know about". This confused them: "What's he doing, packing his own lunch? Did we do something wrong and now he's mad?"

Jesus waved off their silly speculating and said, "My meat is to do the will of Him who sent me".

I understood that he meant that the energy and motivation and drive that he needed to do the ministry didn't come from physical food, instead it was derived from the very intensity of the work he was engaged in. Put succinctly, he was energized by his passion to bring the truth of God's love and his coming kindom to those who 'labored and were heavy laden'.

Meat. It feels good to have that kind of passion; it feels right. It doesn't answer the 'how do I do it?' question but I can tell it's the right place to begin to look for the answer to that question.

The task then, is not about methods and plans and...whatever. Instead it's about letting that passion take me where it will: to sports and the sauna and the university and finding God's plan in those places.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts Jerry. YOu have special insight to God's direction in your life. Keep it up